DID YOU KNOW that chocolate truffles are intentionally rolled into odd shapes to emulate the real truffle fungus that grows around the base of trees? And that the cocoa powder dusted over the top represents the dirt the truffles are found in? An ode to one of the world’s most indulgent foods, it’s only fitting that the chocolate truffle does it’s best to keep up.
HAZELNUT & FRANGELICO CHOCOLATE TRUFFLES
375g quality dark chocolate (70% cocoa is our preferred), chopped
3/4 cup double cream
3 tblsp butter, chopped
3 – 5 tblsp Frangelico
1/2 cup roasted hazelnuts, husks removed, chopped
1/2 cup Dutch-processed cocoa
1. Place the chocolate in a heat-proof bowl and set aside.
2. In a saucepan over a medium heat, stir the cream and butter till it just boils.
3. Immediately pour liquid over the chocolate and let stand for a couple of minutes. Stir with a spatula until the chocolate is completely incorporated into the cream mix.
4. Add Frangelico to taste, then stir in chopped hazelnuts.
5. Cover and refrigerate for several hours, or overnight, until set.
6. When ready, lay a piece of baking paper out onto a tray, ready for the finished truffles, then put cocoa into a bowl and remove chocolate mix from refrigerator.
7. Using your hands and a spoon or a melon baller, roll chunks of the mixture into bite-sized, odd-shaped rounds. This is where things get dirty! Dig in and enjoy the texture of this decadent mix.
8. As you form them, roll each truffle into the cocoa, then place onto the baking paper.
9. Once the entire mixture is rolled, cover and refrigerate until firm.
To serve: Place onto a board or plate and garnish with more truffle “dirt.” Sprinkle with edible flower petals (we’ve used marigolds) if you like.
To drink: It just makes sense to enjoy these bitter-sweet morsels with a glass of Frangelico.
VARIATIONS: Use Nocello and walnuts, or Kahlua and almonds instead of hazelnuts and Frangelico. Replace the cocoa coating with toasted coconut, chopped roasted nuts, or shaved chocolate.
Have you ordered your stylish aprons and wine bags yet? With “I don’t need a hug, I just need a glass of wine.” and other such slogans for your entertainment, you’d better put your order in quick (buy one for your besty while you’re there) Click here!